The 2023 NFL offseason is now well underway, with free agency officially kicking off Wednesday. To examine how much value each team has lost or gained, we'll be taking a look at wins above replacement on offense and defense throughout 2023 free agency. For an in-depth tracker of all moves in free agency, click here.
The graphics below only include players who have changed teams and those who have not yet been re-signed. They do not account for contract extensions.
Roster Moves Updated Through: March 17, 1 p.m. ET
The Chicago Bears have been making significant moves in free agency, specifically for their defense. The signing of interior defender Andrew Billings improves their defensive line significantly, and linebackers T.J. Edwards and Tremaine Edmunds will make an immediate impact.
The Buffalo Bills have been adding offensive players with negative WAR in 2022. This is a concern, but there is hope for improvement. Their AFC East rivals, the New England Patriots, have been doing the opposite. Signing wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster and tight end Mike Gesicki will improve their receiver corps significantly.
The Bengals lost both Jessie Bates III and Vonn Bell in free agency this week, leaving them thin at safety — at least for now — heading into 2023.
Impactful Offensive Roster Moves
Most recent moves:
New England Patriots sign TE Mike Gesicki
- Gesicki generated 0.20 WAR in 2022, 24th among tight ends.
- After trading Jonnu Smith to Atlanta, the Patriots needed a solid tight end.
- He ranked third among Dolphins receivers in receiving grade (61.7) in 2022.
- He recorded five receiving touchdowns last season, seventh among tight ends.
New York Giants sign WR Parris Campbell
- Campbell generated 0.09 WAR in 2022, 76th among wide receivers.
- He ranked second among Colts receivers in receiving yards, touchdowns and first downs in 2022.
Philadelphia Eagles sign QB Marcus Mariota
- Mariota generated 0.73 WAR in 2022, 30th among quarterbacks.
- He ranked 10th in the league in uncatchable pass rate (25.8%) and earned a 62.7 passing grade last season.
New York Jets sign C Wes Schweitzer
- Schweitzer generated 0.05 WAR in 2022.
- He ranked 32nd in offensive grade among centers (59.3), but 20th in run-blocking grade (65.3).
- The Jets needed to replace Connor McGovern.
Chicago Bears sign TE Robert Tonyan, RB D’Onta Foreman
- Tonyan generated 0.18 WAR in 2022, 26th among tight ends.
- Foreman generated 0.07 WAR in 2022.
- He earned a 76.5 rushing grade and ranked 17th among running backs in rushing yards.
Indianapolis Colts sign QB Gardner Minshew
- Minshew generated 0.10 WAR in 2022.
- He struggled with a 21.7% inaccurate throw rate and a 56.5 passing grade in limited action in 2022.
Seattle Seahawks sign G Evan Brown
- Brown generated 0.06 WAR in 2022, 39th among guards.
- He earned a 64.8 offensive grade, 38th among guards, as well as a 69.5 run-blocking grade, 18th among guards.
- He represents an improvement for the Seahawks' offensive line in terms of run blocking.
Detroit Lions sign C Graham Glasgow
- Glasgow generated 0.07 WAR in 2022, 17th among centers.
- He earned a 59.3 offensive grade.
- He allowed pressure on 3.6% of pass-blocking snaps, 27th among centers.
Impactful Defensive Roster Moves
Recent notable moves:
Seattle Seahawks sign LB Devin Bush
- Bush generated 0.05 WAR in 2022.
- He earned a 58.8 defensive grade while ranking fifth on the Steelers in pass-rush grade (66.9) and fourth in tackles and stops.
Philadelphia Eagles sign CB Greedy Williams
- Williams generated -0.03 WAR in 2022.
- He earned a 52.2 defensive grade and ranked sixth on the Browns in run-defense grade (68.3).
Cleveland Browns sign DI Trysten Hill
- Hill generated 0.04 WAR in 2022.
- He ranked first among Cardinals interior defenders in overall grade (73.5), second in run-defense grade (63.8) and third in pass-rush grade (68.4).
Chicago Bears sign DI Andrew Billings
- Billings generated 0.14 WAR in 2022, 29th among interior defenders.
- He ranked third on the Raiders in defensive grade (76.4), seventh in run-defense grade (72.3) and fourth in pass-rush grade (66.4)