San Francisco 49ers QB Trey Lance out for the season with ankle fracture
- Lance suffered the injury on a run play with 2:20 left in the first quarter of Sunday's win against the Seattle Seahawks.
- “Surgery was performed at Stanford Hospital and repaired two injuries to Lance’s ankle, a fibula fracture and ligament disruption,” the 49ers said in a statement. “Lance will start the rehab process, and head team physician Dr. Tim McAdams is confident that he will recover completely in time for a full return in the 2023 season.”
- Lance's season ends with a 48.4% completion rate, 194 passing yards, no touchdowns and an interception. He also added 67 rushing yards. He earned a 53.1 PFF grade.
- Jimmy Garoppolo, who restructured his contract to stay with the team, now regains the starting job. He finished 13-of-21 for 154 yards and two total touchdowns on Sunday, earning a 66.5 PFF grade.
- As for Lance, he’ll return in 2023 having started just five games since the end of 2019 when he was still at North Dakota State.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers WR Mike Evans suspended one game
- Evans is suspended for his role in Sunday's brawl with New Orleans Saints cornerback Marshon Lattimore. Both players were ejected, though Evans is the only one to receive a suspension. He intends to appeal the decision.
- This is now the second time Evans has received a one-game suspension for an on-field incident with Lattimore. The two also got into it in 2017 when Evans shoved Lattimore in the back.
- “He punched my teammate in the face. I just pushed him to the ground,” Evans said after Sunday’s game. “I was just trying to have my teammate's back.”
- If his appeal is unsuccessful, Evans will miss Tampa’s Week 3 game against the Green Bay Packers.
- The Bucs are already dealing with a depleted receiver room, as Chris Godwin (hamstring) and Julio Jones (knee) both missed Sunday’s game against New Orleans.
San Francisco 49ers sign LB Dre Greenlaw to two-year extension
- It’s a two-year, $19 million extension for Greenlaw, who was entering the final year of his rookie contract. He gets a little more than $10 million guaranteed.
- The 2019 fifth-rounder quickly became a starter in San Francisco, racking up 178 tackles, two sacks, three pass breakups and an interception over the first two years of his career. He earned 64.0 and 59.8 grades, respectively. Injuries limited him to just three games last season.
- Greenlaw earned a 70.3 PFF grade on Sunday against the Seahawks and also finished with a team-best 77.8 coverage grade.
Cleveland Browns DE Jadeveon Clowney will miss Thursday night’s game against Pittsburgh
- Clowney suffered an ankle injury late in the third quarter of Sunday's loss to the New York Jets and a quick turnaround does not help his cause.
- Clowney has been off to a hot start this season, earning an 89.2 PFF grade. He recorded a strip sack of Joe Flacco and recovered the ball on his own during Sunday’s game, and he also had a half-sack in the season opener. He’s forced six total pressures and four hurries.
- The Browns also ruled out DE Chase Winovich (hamstring) and TE Jesse James (biceps).
Kansas City Chiefs LB Willie Gay suspended four games
- Gay is suspended for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. The suspension stems from a January arrest and Gay agreed over the summer to enter a diversion program to resolve the criminal case.
- Gay has started both games for the Chiefs this season and is tied for second on the team in tackles with 16. He earned a 65.2 PFF grade in Thursday night’s game.
- Rookie linebacker Leo Chenal is likely to take Gay’s spot alongside Nick Bolton. Veterans Elijah Lee and Darius Harris are also on the roster.
New York Giants sign LB Jaylon Smith
- The former Dallas Cowboys second-round pick spent last season with three teams, including the Giants.
- He appeared in four games for New York, starting two of them and earning a 69.2 PFF grade.
- It’s worth noting that the Giants were under a different coaching staff and personnel staff at the time. Smith now joins a defense led by defensive coordinator Wink Martindale.
- The Giants are set to face Smith’s former team in Week 3, as they welcome the Cowboys on Monday Night Football.
San Francisco 49ers RB Tyrion Davis-Price to miss time with high ankle sprain
- Prince made his NFL debut on Sunday and had 14 carries for 33 yards. He earned a 51.1 PFF grade.
- The 49ers drafted Prince in the third round of April’s draft out of LSU.
- Head coach Kyle Shanahan said the rookie will miss a “few weeks.” High-ankle sprains are typically a four-to-six week injury.
- Prince is the latest 49ers running back to be sidelined, as the team also lost Elijah Mitchell last week for roughly eight weeks after he suffered an MCL injury.
- Jeff Wilson Jr. started on Sunday and will continue to be the lead back. Undrafted rookie Jordan Mason and veteran Marlon Mack (on the practice squad) round out the Niners' running back room. Similar to last season, Deebo Samuel has also been contributing to the run game.