• New users who bet $10 or more at BetMGM will receive a free year’s subscription to PFF+ — a $79.99 value.
Estimated reading time: 3 mins
Bet: Tennessee Titans UNDER 8 wins (BetMGM)
• Titans' fall from grace continues: They squandered a 13-point lead after halftime at home to the Giants and are a far different team than last year’s top AFC seed. RB Derrick Henry — more predictably than ever the lifeblood of their offense — had a rough day with only 80 yards on 21 attempts, fumbling once, and solely one run of 10+ yards.
• Brown replacement plan: Ryan Tannehill’s began life after AJ Brown targeting fifth-round rookie Kyle Philips nine times, including six catches for 66 yards. The guy they drafted to replace Brown, first-rounder Treylon Burks made three catches on five targets for 55 yards. The Titans took a chance this offseason on injured veteran WR Robert Woods, but he had solely a catch for 13 yards despite leading the team in passing down snaps.
• Difficult schedule: As the former No. 1 seed, the Titans don’t exactly have the easiest schedule. They get the Jacksonville Jaguars and Houston Texans twice a piece this season, but there are no real “gimme” games other than the Cowboys, should Prescott miss the rest of the season.
• Bet Titans UNDER 8 wins: It's going to be tough sledding for the Titans, an undervalued bet for fewer than eight wins.
Bet: Detroit Lions OVER 6.5 wins (DraftKings)
• Lions' arrow up: Conversely, the Detroit Lions appear ready to ascend in 2022. Last season, they went 11-6 against the spread — No. 4 in the NFL (64.7%) — and beat it again in Week 1, losing 35-32 at home to the Philadelphia Eagles. At least five of their next eight games appear winnable: the Giants, Jaguars, Jets, Panthers, and Bears, whom the Lions also play in the finale.
• Wildcard is Goff: But the most significant variable is Jared Goff, who didn’t play well Sunday despite the Lions covering, with a 47.6 passing grade, two turnover-worthy plays and only 56.8% of his passes completed. Goff particularly struggled downfield, completing only 3-of-11 passes of more than 10 yards. The Lions had four drops in the game, but none came on these passes.
• Swift and Hutch: The Lions must depend more on running back D’Andre Swift, who had 144 rushing yards on only 15 carries, including a touchdown and five runs of 10 yards or more. Meantime, Detroit’s blue-collar ‘D’ managed 19 pressures (three from top pick Aidan Hutchinson) and a sack vs. a great Eagles front.
• Bet Lions OVER 6.5 wins: There are easier matchups ahead for a potentially tough weekly out in the Lions, who shouldn’t be discounted to notch seven or or even eight wins.
— PFF contributor Richard Janvrin