New York Jets Bench Zach Wilson, Mike White Will Start This Week
- The No. 2 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft will be a healthy inactive this week after a rough game against the New England Patriots. Joe Flacco will be the backup to White on Sunday against the Chicago Bears.
- “Zach's career here is not over,” head coach Robert Saleh said Wednesday. “I know that's going to be the narrative and I know that's what everybody wants to shout out, but that's not even close to the case. The full intent is to make sure Zach gets back on the football field this season. The young man needs a reset.”
- Wilson passed for a career-low 77 yards in Sunday's loss to New England, earning an abysmal 29.9 PFF grade. He was criticized for not taking accountability for the loss in his postgame press conference.
- White has not played this season, but he started four games last year, including a 405-yard and three-touchdown performance in an upset win over Cincinnati. His overall PFF grade on the year was 53.6.
Los Angeles Rams Expected To Start QB Bryce Perkins This Week
- Matthew Stafford is in concussion protocol, but head coach Sean McVay explained that it’s more of a neck injury. McVay emphasized that the Rams will take a conservative approach with Stafford, and he’s already been ruled out for Sunday’s game against Kansas City.
- Bryce Perkins, a former undrafted free agent, is currently the only healthy quarterback on the active roster. John Wolford is dealing with a neck injury of his own and was inactive last week.
- Perkins completed 5-of-10 passes for 64 yards with another 39 yards rushing in Sunday’s loss to New Orleans.
- The Rams signed Case Cookus to their practice squad, and he could ultimately be the backup on Sunday.
- The Rams are 15.5-point underdogs against Kansas City.
Houston Texans Bench Davis Mills at QB, Kyle Allen Will Start This Week
- Mills has started all 10 games this season but has struggled to take that next step after showing some promise in his rookie year.
- The former third-round pick out of Stanford leads the league in interceptions (11) and has just 11 big-time throws on the year. His 63.3 PFF grade ranks 28th among qualifying quarterbacks and he’s bottom 10 in completion percentage (61.9%) and passer rating (78.1).
- Houston signed Allen this offseason to a one-year deal. He started previously in stints with Carolina and, most recently, Washington in 2020.
- Overall, he has appeared in 21 games with 13 starts, completing 63.1% of his passes for 4,318 yards and 24 touchdowns.
Jacksonville Jaguars Claim RB Darrell Henderson Off Waivers
- Henderson was a surprise cut on Tuesday, having played in all 10 games this season, including seven starts. He’s rushed for 283 yards and three touchdowns, earning a 57.7 PFF grade.
- The 25-year-old will join Travis Etienne and JaMycal Hasty in Jacksonville’s running back room. The Jaguars traded James Robinson before the deadline, so Henderson could fill his role. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent after the season.
Kansas City Chiefs Place RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire On IR
- Edwards-Helaire left Sunday’s game with an ankle injury and has been diagnosed with a high ankle sprain. He’ll miss at least four games.
- The former first-round pick has rushed for 302 yards and three touchdowns on the year but has seen a decrease in playing time to seventh-round rookie Isiah Pacheco.
- Pacheco rushed for 107 yards on Sunday night and now leads the team with 386 rushing yards this season.
- Ronald Jones, who has been a healthy inactive most of the season, and veteran Jerick McKinnon are likely to see an uptick in snaps with Edwards-Helaire sidelined.
More news and notes around the NFL:
- Baltimore Ravens QB Lamar Jackson did not practice today due to a hip injury, but the team expects him to play this week.
- Arizona Cardinals QB Kyler Murray was a full participant at practice today. He told reporters he should be back this week after missing the past two games with a hamstring injury.
- Chicago Bears QB Justin Fields told reporters he has a separated shoulder with torn ligaments. He was a limited participant at practice today.
- The Baltimore Ravens designated safety Marcus Williams to return from injured reserve.
- Los Angeles Rams DL A'Shawn Robinson will miss the rest of the season with a knee injury.
- The Green Bay Packers claimed former Los Angeles Rams LB Justin Hollins off waivers. He has started five games this season and has a 53.2 PFF grade.