The Browns have reportedly declined the request, telling Hunt that his best move would be to perform well in 2022 and “earn his next contract.”
Cabot reports that Hunt held out of everything but individual drills over the Browns' past two practices in his attempt to secure a new contract from the team.
Hunt signed a two-year deal with the Browns at the start of the 2020 season and will be entering the final year of that deal. He is set to earn a base salary of $1.35 million with a roster bonus of $4.9 million.
Kareem Hunt: PFF overall grade and rank since 2017 (regular season only)
|Season||PFF Grade||PFF Grade Rank|
|2021||74.4||22 of 64|
|2020||74.0||31 of 63|
|2018||81.6||10 of 62|
|2017||82.4||5 of 66|
• A third-round pick of the 2017 NFL Draft, Hunt has become known as one of the toughest runners in the NFL. His 3.19 yards after contact per attempt since 2017 ranks seventh among the 36 backs with 500-plus carries over that span.
• Over his career, Hunt has rushed for 3,549 yards on 773 carries (4.9 yards per carry). His 28 touchdowns rank 17th among the same group of players, while his 179 forced missed tackles rank sixth.
• A pass-catching weapon out of the backfield, Hunt has earned an 85.1 receiving grade since 2017, eighth out of the 36 backs with 150 or more targets. His 1.44 yards per route run ranks 12th.
If Kareem Hunt hold-in turns into a trade, immediately moves into RB1 territory on any of these teams:
1. Buffalo Bills
2. Kansas City Chiefs
3. Los Angeles Rams
4. Philadelphia Eagles
5. Miami Dolphins
6. San Francisco 49ers
7. Houston Texans
8. Chicago Bears
9. Atlanta Falcons
— Dwain McFarland (@dwainmcfarland) August 7, 2022
• Despite Hunt's strong performances, teammate Nick Chubb figures to continue as the team's clear-cut lead “running-down back.” Chubb has averaged 1,392 total yards and 9.8 touchdowns per season since entering the league in 2018 despite missing six games over the past two seasons with knee and calf injuries.
• Chubb is the RB15 in PFF's consensus fantasy football rankings for 2022. Hunt comes in as the RB30 but would jump up the rankings if he's traded to a better situation.