Happy Week 14!
Thirteen weeks of football are in the books. Madness. Bye weeks are over, but injuries have unfortunately continued to take a toll on offenses around the league. Focusing on the longterm view is usually the right move in most walks of life, but it’s also important in fantasy football land to not be afraid to attack each week as its own mini one-game season.
What follows are my Week 14 QB rankings. Note that these are not season-long lists or projections; I’m purely ranking based on who I believe will score more fantasy points this week with a focus on 1) What the QB has achieved in recent weeks, 2) Injuries or workload changes that could impact their production, and 3) This week’s matchup.
1. GREEN BAY PACKERS QB AARON RODGERS AT DETROIT LIONS (GB -7, 54)
Rodgers’ Week 13 stat line could’ve been larger if MVS hadn’t dropped a 50-yard bomb to open up the second half.
Rodgers' face after this drop has me cackling pic.twitter.com/lXSjILM6TB
— Ian Hartitz (@Ihartitz) December 7, 2020
Oh well. The 295-yard, three-TD performance marked Rodgers’ 11th game of the season with multiple passing scores. Inexplicably having the second-best season of his career in virtually any metric, Rodgers continues to overcome a relatively average supporting cast (outside of Davante Adams, of course) with pinpoint accuracy and impeccable decision-making.
Rodgers has enjoyed playing inside the friendly confines of Ford Field in recent years, posting 273 pass yards-2 TD-1 INT, 300-4-0, 442-3-0 and most recently 323-2-1 performances in Detroit since 2015. Arguably, nobody in the league outside of the defending champ is playing at a higher level at the moment, and our next QB simply doesn’t have the same caliber of cake matchup. Fire up A-aron as the week’s premiere talent at the position.
2. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS QB PATRICK MAHOMES AT MIAMI DOLPHINS (KC -7.5, 49)
There were three plays that could’ve produced another score and roughly 50 additional passing yards for Mahomes during the Chiefs’ Sunday night win over the Broncos:
- Mahomes overthrew an open Tyreek Hill streaking behind the defense down the middle of the field. Perhaps Hill could’ve come down with it had he demonstrated better ball-tracking skills, but he’s normally among the league’s very best deep-ball catchers, so we’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.
- Mahomes hit Hill in the chest in the end zone before the ball deflected up into the air and miraculously found its way into Hill’s hands on the ground. Even the Chiefs’ No. 1 WR didn't think he caught it. The Chiefs punted. Madness.
- Mahomes finally connected with Hill on a deep score, but it was nullified by a holding penalty.
Only the Broncos have limited Mahomes to just one TD this season; don’t expect the Dolphins to join this list. Only Dak Prescott (26.9) is averaging more fantasy points per game than Mahomes (25.9) through 12 weeks. This is far from an easy matchup, but c’mon people, we all know that the Chiefs boast the league’s most matchup-proof offense. Continue to treat Mahomes as the top-two fantasy QB he’s been for the past three years.