Name: Cordrea Tankersley
Position fit: Outside cornerback
Stats to know: Allowed a passer rating of only 41.2 in two full seasons
What he does best:
- Has the size to press at the line of scrimmage. Ideal for a press-man scheme, length facilitates effective jams at the line of scrimmage.
- Moves well for his size, allowing him to play multiple coverages.
- Strong in man coverage, possesses incredible instincts and change-of-direction skills.
- Scheme diverse: instincts and aggression make him a viable zone corner and he closes well on the ball in “off” coverage, particularly for his size.
- Physical, willing to attack the LOS on run plays/screens, missed only 12 of 114 tackle attempts over last two seasons.
- Reliable, gave up only one catch of 30-plus yards in 2016 and only one touchdown.
- Can play either side, lining up on both perimeters extensively.
- Too physical at times, particularly at the top of routes. Had seven coverage penalties in 2016, and won't get away with as much as he did in college in the NFL.
- Lets WRs get on him in off coverage, has him playing catch-up far too often.
- Really should have had more than four interceptions in 2016. Dropped another two that were fairly easy grabs.
- Will lose the ball late down the field, loses subtle hand fight.
- Tries to play through WRs hands, but not always successful, needs to time it better.
Player comparison: Trumaine Johnson, Los Angeles Rams
Like Johnson, Tankersley has the length and movement skills to play both press or off coverage and that all-around game adds a versatile element that doesn’t limit the defensive play call.
Bottom line: Tankersley possesses a strong skillset for a cornerback prospect. He’s able to balance aggressive playmaking talent with the reliability to prevent big plays, picking his moments to decisively change games. Tankersley’s size and movement skills will keep multiple teams interesting, from those looking for a pure press-man corner to those teams who prefer changing things up and playing multiple coverages. If Tankersley can improve do a better job at the top of routes where he can get too physical, he can develop into a strong starter in the league.