Denver Broncos Sign QB Russell Wilson to huge extension
- Wilson signed a five-year, $245 million extension that includes $165 million in total guarantees.
- He’s now locked in for the next seven years through his age-40 season – and the new contract makes him the second highest paid quarterback in the NFL in new money with a $49 million per year average. Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is first at $50.2 million.
- Since entering the league as a third-round pick in 2012, Wilson leads the NFL in completions (298), yards (10,159) and touchdowns (105) on passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield. That deep passing touchdown total since 2012 is over 40 more than Denver's quarterback room collectively over that span.
- The Broncos acquired Wilson in a blockbuster trade this offseason, sending five draft picks — including two first-round and two second-round picks — and three players. Wilson will get to see his former team in Week 1 on Monday Night Football.
Tennessee Titans OLB Harold Landry tears ACL
- It’s a very unfortunate injury for Landry, who has been very durable throughout his career, playing over 1,000 regular season and postseason snaps in three consecutive seasons.
- He’s coming off a year in which he recorded a career-best 12 sacks, 68 pressures and 13 QB hits. He earned a 63.0 PFF grade.
- The Titans signed him to a five-year, $87.5 million deal that includes $52.5 million in total guarantees this past offseason.
- Rashad Weaver and Ola Adeniyi are the current in-house options to replace Landry.
New York Giants release veteran LB Blake Martinez
- Martinez was a defensive captain for the Giants the last two years after signing with the team as a free agent in 2020.
- He suffered a torn ACL early last season and took a large pay cut this offseason to return for a third year.
- Nonetheless, the Giants decide to move on before it gets to the point and will turn to younger guys at the position.
- In his last full season in 2020, Martinez earned a 75.9 overall grade, 75.2 run-defense and an 81.9 tackling grade.
- Since he’s a vested veteran, Martinez will not be subject to waivers and can sign with a new team immediately.
Philadelphia Eagles claim former San Francisco 49ers RB Trey Sermon off waivers
- Sermon was waived by the 49ers on Wednesday, just one year after being a third-round pick.
- He played in just nine games as a rookie, totaling 167 yards on 41 carries. He earned a 64.6 PFF grade.
- Because he was claimed, Sermon will go on Philly’s 53-man roster and will join Miles Sanders, Boston Scott and Kenneth Gainwell.
- Sanders had been dealing with a hamstring injury but returned to practice for the first time in nearly two weeks on Thursday.
New Orleans Saints safety Marcus Maye arrested for aggravated assault with a firearm
- According to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office, “Maye was identified as the driver of a black SUV that was involved in an incident in which he is accused of pointing a firearm at another vehicle that was occupied by several juvenile females.”
- Maye was released from custody after posting a $30,000 bond but was not present at Thursday’s practice.
- The Saints signed Maye to a three-year, $28.5 million deal this offseason after he spent the first five years of his career with the New York Jets.
- He earned PFF grades over 74.5 in three consecutive years from 2018-2020, but an Achilles tear in 2021 ended his season early. He finished the year with a career-low 55.9 grade.
Tennessee Titans sign WR Josh Gordon to practice squad
- Gordon was released by the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday as part of their roster cuts to 53 players.
- He caught five passes for 32 yards and a touchdown in 12 games in his lone year with Kansas City, earning a career-low 45.5 PFF grade. He was a healthy scratch in all three of their playoff games.
- The Titans did some reshuffling in their wide receiver room this offseason, trading away AJ Brown and releasing Julio Jones.
- They added Robert Woods via trade and drafted Treylon Burks in the first round. Nick Westbrook-Ikhine, Kyle Philips and Cody Hollister round out the wide receivers currently on their active roster.