James Robinson won’t start camp on PUP
- Robinson tore his Achilles tendon in Week 16 last season, so this is a great sign that he’s ahead in his recovery.
- Jacksonville head coach Doug Pederson said the team is hopeful that he will be fully cleared by mid-August.
- The former undrafted free agent had an up-and-down year under then-head coach Urban Meyer, totaling 767 rushing yards and eight touchdowns. He earned a 77.1 PFF rushing grade. As a rookie, Robinson tallied 1,070 rushing yards and 10 total touchdowns.
Bears LB Roquan Smith waiting for extension, will hold-in during camp
- Smith is entering the last year of his rookie contract and is scheduled to make $9.73 million under the fifth-year option.
- “Holding-in” has become the new trend in recent years for players upset with their contracts. The player will show up to camp but won’t participate in anything on-field.
- The report adds that “Smith has not yet received an offer he would remotely consider.”
- The league-wide belief has been that Smith will push to become the first-ever $20 million per year off-ball linebacker.
- The former top-10 pick has had 100-plus tackles in each of his four seasons and finished 2021 with a career-high 163.
- He performed well in coverage in 2020 with an 84.0 grade, although that dropped to 68.0 last season.
Chiefs’ Orlando Brown Jr. will not report to training camp
- This shouldn’t come as a major surprise, as Brown is yet to sign his franchise tag tender, meaning he’s technically not under contract and the team can’t fine him.
- Brown and the Chiefs couldn’t reach an agreement on a long-term extension before the July 15 deadline, so he’s expected to play this season under the franchise tag for a fully guaranteed $16.6 million. He starts losing money only if he misses regular-season games.
- In his first full season starting at left tackle, Brown earned a 75.4 overall grade, with a 76.1 mark in pass protection and a 67.0 mark as a run blocker.
Chiefs rookie WR Justyn Ross won’t play this season
- Ross recently had foot surgery, leading to the team placing him on injured reserve and ending his season before it began.
- The Chiefs signed Ross as an undrafted free agent. There was serious concern about his neck/spine coming out of college, leading to him going undrafted.
- The former Clemson standout racked up 1,000 yards as a true freshman back in 2018. He was the highest-graded skill player on a 2018 national championship Clemson team that also featured Travis Etienne, Tee Higgins and Hunter Renfrow. He tacked on six receptions, 153 yards and a touchdown in the national championship game against Alabama.
- Everyone is hopeful he could return to a clean bill of health come next season.
Packers extend head coach Matt LaFleur, general manager Brian Gutekunst
- Gutekunst helped hire LaFleur back in 2019, and the pair have gone on to win 13 regular-season games in all three years together.
- They haven’t reached the ultimate goal yet, losing twice in the NFC Championship Game and last season in the divisional round.
- The Packers also extended director of football operations Russ Ball.
Cowboys have interest in free agent LB Anthony Barr
- The report adds that nothing is imminent at this point.
- Barr spent the first eight seasons of his career with the Vikings after being drafted ninth overall in 2014.
- He finished last season with a respectable 63.8 overall grade and a 72.6 pass-rush grade.
- Dallas could use some help at linebacker, especially considering how the team split up Micah Parsons’ snaps in 2021.