Name: Trey Hendrickson
School: Florida Atlantic
Position: Edge defender (4-3 defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker)
Stats to know: Highest pass-rushing productivity in the nation at 20.5.
What he does best:
- Exceptional burst off the line of scrimmage. Challenges the edge routinely and already adept at turning speed into power.
- Kicked inside at times in obvious pass-rushing situations and was proficient beating guards as well.
- Still incredibly raw with a good deal of coachable issues in his game.
- Makes up for some length concerns with an exceptional long arm move. Pairs well with his explosiveness to help him win the edge.
- Doesn’t keep going back to the same moves. Keeps offensive tackles on edge with an array of maneuvers.
- Nice little inside swim move with more than enough agility to pull it off in the league.
- Sold out to rush the passer. Playing the run was an afterthought for him. Might be forced into designated pass rusher role early on until he learns how to play run.
- Has a bunch of wasted reps as a pass-rusher. Had an immense physical advantage against many of the tackles he faced, but had no plan of attack often.
- Unimpressive spin move that he often tips far too early.
- Level of competition is very much a concern. Some tackles he faced could barely move. Was just alright at the East-West Shrine game..
Player comparison: Brooks Reed, Atlanta Falcons
Reed and Hendrickson are incredibly similar as pass-rushers right down to their overused and rarely effective spin move. Hendrickson has a bit more explosiveness than Reed, though he’ll likely struggle as a pass-rusher early in his career until he’s coached up to an NFL level.
Bottom line: Pass-rushers outside of the first round don’t tend to have a good track record in the NFL. Usually edge players with NFL athleticism don’t make it out of the first two rounds, but in Hendrickson’s case he might have to wait until Day 3 of the draft. That’s because he’s a good, not great, athlete with almost zero experience against tackles with NFL futures. He of all players in this class could be the rare boon late in the edge class.