Name: Samson Ebukam
School: Eastern Washington
Position fit: 3-4 iutside linebacker, edge rusher
Stats to know: Ebukam had 11 sacks, 10 hits, and 42 hurries on 398 pass-rush snaps in 2016.
What he does best:
- Productive pass-rusher from multiple positions and alignments.
- Pass-rushing productivity rating of 13.2 ranks No. 13 among 3-4 OLBs in the draft class.
- Can win with outside speed, long arm, club, rip, hand-swipe, bull, bull-jerk, inside counter rushes.
- Engages with very good body lean which gives him leverage and power in his rush.
- Best move is swiping tackles outside arm with his inside arm on his outside speed rush.
- Can bend around tackles and win outside with a speed rush.
- Can blitz effectively from middle linebacker position.
- Sudden burst of lateral agility and acceleration make him productive on stunts.
- Plays at a frenetic pace and stays after his rush and will make effort sacks.
- Outstanding footing in slick field conditions.
- 25 run stops tie him at No. 4 among 3-4 OLBs in the draft class.
- Needs to do a better job of finishing tackles.
- Misses tackles in open space at times, finished 2016 with 9 missed tackles.
- Gets too aggressive and will lose contain on occasion.
- Very unorthodox pass-rushing footwork with false steps and short choppy stride.
- Would like to see improved hand usage as he is mostly winning with bend and athleticism.
Bottom line: Ebukam is a prospect that combines dominance on tape, outstanding production grades and explosive athleticism. At Eastern Washington he rushed the passer from the edge both standing up and with his hand on the ground as well as blitzing from the middle linebacker position. Ebukam has the athleticism to zone drop, and the physicality to set the edge in the run game but is at his best rushing the passer. Ebukam is a change-of-pace pass-rusher who can provide a different style of pass-rush than the other edge-rushers on the team. Ebukam should be able to carve out a role as a reserve edge-rusher and special teams contributor.